Friday, April 6, 2012

For your health

I was reading the San Luis Obispo paper the other day (online, in preparation for when we'll be living there) and found a link to this site. http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/  It details the health grades of each one of California's counties.  Kings County, where I currently live, ranks close to the bottom in all areas.  The survey measures health-related issues, like access to recreational facilities, ratio of doctors to residents, obesity, mortality rates, and air quality.  San Luis Obispo County, on the other hand, is in the top  third of counties in the areas measured.  


A lot of times friends or acquaintances ask why we're moving, and if I had to point to the biggest issue, this chart sums it up nicely.  I may hate the summer weather here, the fog, and the declining socio-economic climate of our town, but the health issues are what's most important.  The air here is so bad I can only stay healthy by getting a Kenalog (a steroid) shot a couple of times a year.  Unfortunately, it comes with some nasty side effects, so being able to stop the Kenalog shots will make a huge difference in my quality of life.  I also have asthma, which is exacerbated by the poor air, so I'm expecting that to improve as well.


I can wax romantic about the lovely hills, the vineyards, the nearness of the ocean and the dark skies at night, but the fact is we are making this decision to move for health reasons above all others.   I feel bad for the friends we are leaving behind, but make no apologies for putting the long-term health of myself and my family first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment