Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Wild

I have seen more wildlife since living here than I have anywhere else I've ever lived.  On the coast, there are whales, sea otters, and sea lions.  Here at the homestead, there are lots of lizards, snakes, deer, coyotes, birds of all sorts, and this gal, who decided to visit me on the back patio tonight.  After observing her for awhile, I took a broom and gently brushed her off the concrete and into the dirt and plants, so she wouldn't be stepped on by my dogs.  She may not fit my idea of beautiful, in fact her jointed limbs looked creepily like a hand moving its way across the patio, but she has her place here, just as all the other creatures do too (except the red ants, which I nuke into Kingdom Come with anything that's handy).  She may not fit the image I had of what I came here to steward, but she's a tenant on my land nonetheless, and I will treat her with respect as much as possible.  I just hope she doesn't get too attached to hanging out on the patio, because I do like to go barefoot there on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment