Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tomatopalooza


It happens every year at about this time...tomatoes ripen and need to be canned for the winter months, when they'll be used in chili and stews.  This year, we moved at a time when I normally would have been putting in the summer garden, so I have nothing growing to put up (except a few quarts of nectarines from the tree we inherited from the former owners).  But my husband was able to procure, through a farming friend, all these lovely organic Roma tomatoes, and so canning will begin in earnest tomorrow.   I'm also going to finally put the solar food dehydrator I got last year to use, and hopefully cut up and dry some of these so we can have sun-dried tomatoes for our pizzas. Feels good to be doing this, and to know that it won't be long now until fall comes, when I will be able to put in a garden and get back to the homesteading business, as usual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment