Friday, August 25, 2017

Shakin' the dust off


Florence Oregon lighthouse (courtesy shutterstock)

The eclipse trip Big Ag and I took recently was good in many ways, but one of the biggest reasons is that it shook the dust off me. When you are comfortable and happy in your routines, it's easy for them to become a rut, and taking a trip of any length (farther than the grocery store, anyway) enlarges your perspective again to where you not only appreciate where you've traveled to, but you also appreciate home more, once you get back.

In short, sometimes you have to be someplace else in order to re-learn how to be here. "Here" as in the present, wherever that takes place.

When I was in my 20's, I was seized with a chronic restlessness that caused me to travel all the time. I backpacked through Europe for months. I traveled cross country for several weeks on an Amtrak pass, did 10 day back country trips up Mt. Whitney and the high Sierras. If bigger trips failed to materialize I got in my car, alone, and drove to Santa Barbara, Joshua Tree, or Palm Springs for the weekend. 

In truth, I was driven to travel because I lived in shitty places I usually could not wait to get away from, in that grand wasteland known as 1980's Los Angeles.

Of course I could not wait to get away from my dingy apartment, with the view of the parking lot and the neighbors with the loud television. When we're young we may not know much, but we recognize when we're in a place we need to escape from.

But the thing about growing up is that eventually, you hopefully become successful and end up living in a home and a place you love -- one the younger you would have loved to vacation in. Big soaking tub? Check. Marvelous view? Check. Pretty bathroom, sans mold and cockroaches? Double check. And so you stay put more. You put down roots because you're finally in good soil. But like any house plant, it's possible to get root bound and dusty and need to be freed from your pot and shaken up a bit once in awhile.

This trip to see the eclipse and the Oregon coast reminded me that yes, I do live in paradise compared to where I came from. But there are other paradises that need to be explored, too. The Oregon paradise we drove through had pine forests, lighthouses, wide open beaches and random beach towns with great breweries. And I remembered that paradise is found all over the planet, if we're willing to travel to meet it where it lives. 

And sure enough, I returned from our vacation calmer, more in the moment, and happier. Sometimes you just need to shake the dust loose and move around a bit to realize that deep roots are advantageous in some ways, yes, but not if they make you incapable of being anyplace else.


4 comments:

  1. We definitely live in a place that many people choose as a vacation destination. For me, the Summer months cause me to feel disenchanted. Then the rains come (hopefully) and I feel refreshed. Stay cool in this coming heat wave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw the forecast...over 100 all of next week. Gonna be a challenge to stay cool, for sure. I actually prefer being home in this weather so I can keep a close eye on the livestock for signs of heat issues.

      Delete
  2. You are so right- a little time away is a refresh!! Rain yesterday and today, so necessary for poor parched Umbria. This has been a summer for the records- record heat and almost no rain for all of 2017. Mother nature is something else. Hope you {and your garden and animals} are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I've heard it's been a bad summer over there. You must have been so happy to have some rain! We're dealing with some pretty high temperatures so I guess it's been a summer "for the books" everywhere.
      SO looking forward to autumn!

      Delete