Saturday, June 30, 2018

Summer notes

So western Oregon is in that transition between spring and summer right now. Temps are mostly mild, and we've had a few little rain showers here and there that have helped keep things green.
This was taken at 3:45 am the other morning. Short nights here!
One thing we're having a hard time adjusting to is the length of the night. This part of Oregon sits at about 44 degrees north latitude, like parts of Minnesota, which means our nights are short this time of year. Sunset/rise seem to be at fairly normal times (9 pm and 5:30 am, respectively) but there is a lingering twilight/dawn that lasts a few hours on either end that has made sleeping eight hours a challenge. At the same time, getting up to close a window at 4 am gives a peak at the beginnings of a two-hour sunrise, which is very cool.

But you want to hear something else cool? The latitude of the Willamette Valley also sits on a parallel with Provence, France. So those tall pine trees and fields of tall grass Van Gogh painted also appear in our landscape. Vincent would feel right at home here. 

The girls are finally out of their enclosure and free-ranging for part of the day, which lifts my heart and probably also the nutritional content of the eggs they lay, so that's good.

Just don't crap on the chaise lounge.

I am kind of surprised how much my mood has changed since living here. It seems I'm just consistently in a mellow, congenial kind of attitude, with almost no angst at all. I've realized that's because through most of my adult life I've always hated summer; hated when it started early and stole from spring, hated when it was in its triple digit height from about July through mid-October, and especially hated when it wiped out autumn entirely. That's a lot of hatred and, hence, the angst. 

And the  brush fire danger has gone away, too. I recently took down the three-part list I had posted on the fridge with what to gather up in a wildfire evacuation if you have 5/30/120 minutes to pack. There will be wildfires in Oregon this summer, to be sure, but probably not where we live. 

A Van Gogh kind of summer
Back before we moved here I used to wonder what I'd miss about California, and the answer is nothing...except the people we left. Luckily we've had no less than four friends come to see us since we moved, and more are on the way. Some are just visiting, and others are looking at possible relocations themselves. Either way, it's nice to see familiar faces in new places!


4 comments:

  1. Looks amazing. I would miss Montana de Oro. And local avocados. But that might be about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd miss the coast so much, but the coast here is so amazing, it more than makes up for not being able to hike the Fiscalini Ranch anymore (my favorite Central Coast spot). I had to start missing avocados when we moved to Paso Robles, since it's too cold to grow them in North County, so I got weaned off growing them awhile back. But they are really delicious, you're right! Luckily the supermarkets are fully stocked so there's no going without, just no local avocados or citrus anymore.

      Delete
    2. The berries might make up for it, marionberries and more. I know many in the NW consider blackberries to be weeds but I think if I could trade those for the foxtails and filaree I'd be over the moon.

      Delete
  2. You have just gotten out of triple digit heat and wildfires but I will be walking right into them. I hope the mild winters in AZ will make up for it.

    Fall is awesome in Ohio and I will miss it. But I am eager to experience something new while I still can.

    I actually got caught in a wildfire on my way from Phoenix to Prescott last summer. Sat on the highway for 3 hours while the Hotshots got it under control.

    And yes, I'm still planning to move out there temporarily. I've seen all there is to see in my corner of the world and want to experience another corner, at least for awhile.

    ReplyDelete