Wednesday, August 1, 2018

A Word About "New School" Veterinarians




It was my birthday this last week, which meant I received a years' worth of texts, phone calls and messages from friends and family. In a way, it puts me to shame, because I'm the worst person for remembering others' birthdays, but my tribe is a forgiving sort, and so year after year they continue to remember me and my day anyway. 

But with one of my friends, our birthday conversation turned to our animals and the veterinary care they receive. I stated that after our current dog and cat pass away, we're going to take a break from domestic pets for awhile, in no small part due to troubles we've had with veterinarians "over-serving" us. It's a "New School" approach to treatment.

She concurred, and told me she and her husband have decided the same thing. They recently took their terminally ill dog into the emergency vet's office on a Sunday afternoon to get the dog some pain killers, since he had awoken that morning in great discomfort. Instead of just dispensing the meds, the emergency vet basically ran every test the original vet had to confirm the diagnosis (at a cost of nearly $1,000) before agreeing to dispense the pain meds. Yes, even though the tests had already been run and a diagnosis of a terminal liver tumor had been confirmed, the emergency vet insisted he had to run all his own tests before agreeing to provide pain medication to the dog, who was clearly old and suffering.



Here's an example another friend of mine recently experienced: She has a cat that appeared to have a bladder infection -- urinating constantly, seemingly in discomfort. I happen to know her Old School vet personally, and worked for him for a time. I know for a fact he would have seen the cat, done a general physical exam and then sent Kitty home with some antibiotics, telling  my friend that if the cat was not improved in three days to return for more testing. And with 98 percent cats, the antibiotics would do the trick.

Unfortunately, my friend saw a New School Vet. New School Vet saw Kitty and ordered up a complete blood panel, a urinalysis, a kidney ultrasound and an overnight at the animal hospital before diagnosing a bladder infection and, you guessed it, sending Kitty home with  the same antibiotics Old School Vet would have given her. 

Old School Vet's treatment plan would have cost about $65. New School Vet's protocol cost about $1,000. My friend is a senior citizen on a fixed income, and this devastated her financially for the month. Yet both scenarios ($65 versus $1,000) end with the same result -- Kitty going home with antibiotics and getting better.

The problem is that New School Vets take advantage of us by 1) blocking the way to treatment by demanding extensive testing, and 2) preying on the responsibility we feel towards our household pets. And honestly, it's gotten to a point where I no longer feel comfortable having a pet in a vulnerable state where both of us can be taken advantage of. 

So while we'll continue to keep chickens and other small livestock, we'll probably be taking a pass on any animal that may someday require a trip to the small-animal vet. Because you just never know anymore if you're going to get Old School or New School, and while I appreciate that both probably think they are doing the best for their four-footed patients, New School Vets leave me feeling victimized at a time when both me and my best animal friend are in distress -- a time when our only option is to trust the doctor we see. And with Old School Vets hitting their senior years themselves and retiring, we're going to see more and more New School Vets on the scene. 

Not a good scenario for either ourselves or the house pets we love.




































5 comments:

  1. Our dogs are seniors and definitely cost us more than they used to. When they are gone, I no longer want the responsibility and expense. I do think our vet in Templeton has been fair. It's just that bloodwork and other things for my horse can sometimes cost less than that for the dogs. Do you watch Dr. Jeff on Animal Planet? I love his approach. He's definitely one of the good guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Dr. Jeff; I'll have to check it out! I've experienced the same thing with large versus small animal vets. The large animal vets are MUCH more reasonable, even when you factor in them having to make a house call. Not sure why that is.

      Delete
  2. I have shown dogs as a hobby for over 30 years and dogs are a permanent fixture in my life. I belong to two dogs clubs and half of my friends are dog people. Did I mention I love dogs?!

    So yes, I certainly understand where you are coming from. Vet bills are a big topic in my circle. I got pet insurance years ago and found it was money well spent.

    I don't think any of my vets have over treated, and I wonder if it's a regional thing. (I live in the Midwest). However, even the cost for regular treatment has gotten very high. Thank goodness for my pet insurance!

    One thing we have done is to reduce the number of pets. We were up to six at one time and now down to three, two dogs and a cat. Eventually I think we will have just one dog, and a small one at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are slowly downsizing in the pet department too, Molly, as our furry friends pass we no longer are getting new ones. I think the exhaustive lab work and tests may indeed be a regional thing, California has a high cost of living and I think it's reflected in all expenses. I have always wondered if pet insurance is worth it, and you are the second person who has told me it is. Another friend needed a $3,000 surgery on her dog and it was covered because she had the foresight to get insurance on the dog when he was a pup. Literally, a lifesaver!

      Delete
  3. OMG ... i haven't had to use a vet with our cat yet other than the yearly shots which we get at Petsmart. I swear that cat better never get sick. the cost, wow.

    ReplyDelete