Monday, December 17, 2018

The shoes that tried to kill me



I recently got invited to a very swanky country club luncheon, which doesn't happen every day when you live in the middle on a 500-acre vineyard in Oregon with no close neighbors except wild turkeys and deer. Making friends has taken some time. So on this important occasion, I got all dressed up in my city clothes, including a darling pair of suede ankle boots I've had for several years (and haven't worn nearly enough to justify what I paid for them).

What I didn't anticipate was the effect of walking on the cobblestones in our carport in those lovely ankle boots. Did I mention the boots have an almost-stiletto heel on them -- not so much in terms of height but diameter of the heel point?

Before I could even get my car door open I found myself thrown to the ground as one of those tiny heel points was placed in between the uneven stones and turned my ankle sideways. And make no mistake about it, ankle boots are completely unforgiving in an incident like this. They do not allow your foot to come loose from the shoe as you twist, so you wrench your ankle the complete 45 degrees before you hit the ground.

I laid there for a minute, kind of stunned, and then did what any self-respecting luncheon lover would do....I got in my car and continued on to the country club. Which I realized was a mistake once my ankle started really swelling and pounding about halfway into the appetizers.

But I soldiered on, in the name of all things Country Club. Priorities! And then hit the Urgent Care Center on the way home (by that time I was in agony). They had to bring me in and out of the facility in a wheelchair, and after an exam, x-rays and ultrasound, they discovered that I'd completely torn a ligament on the top of my foot and it wasn't working anymore.

I came home and had Big Ag put the suede ankle boots into the Goodwill box.

To be honest, this is not the first time these shoes have tried to kill me. I attending a wedding a couple of years ago, with the reception held around a magnificent old oak tree at a winery. Somewhere into the reception, I tried to get back to my table from the dance floor, across a few of the massive roots that protruded around the oak, and twisted the same ankle and fell to the ground. Some old man at another table leaned over to his wife and said, "well, that one's been drinking." But I hadn't. I had tripped on an oak root, but it was the ankle boots that caused me to fall completely flat on the ground.

And so now I'm in an air cast and wrapped up like a mummy when I'm not wearing that, due for physical therapy next week. The pain is better and the bruising is subsiding. The good news is, as long as it's not hurting, I have permission to drive, walk, and do anything else I need to. And even better, it's not hurting all that much right now, so all my holiday preps are coming along just fine.

But the sad thing is that I've almost considered digging the ankle boots out of the Goodwill bag, because they are just so darn cute and look so good on. But I've realized it's a toxic relationship and that it's counterproductive to love something that's trying to kill you. And so it is in life as well.

And so I bid farewell to yet another fashion trend I've had to give up due to age. If anyone needs me, I'll be out in the vineyard, hangin' with the wild turkeys and deer. For many reasons, that is probably where I most belong. But occasionally I reserve the right to visit The Other Side -- the one with appetizers, gorgeous couture and bright conversation. You'll know you see me there when you see a slightly-out-of-place looking woman.... with an array of appetizers in her hand, wearing very sensible flats.



6 comments:

  1. Yikes! Hope your ligament heals well. Looks like the tree is decorated so hope your other holiday ducks are in a row and you can take it easy. Seems a good time to don some wool socks (they won't try to kill you unless you have slippery flooring & stairs), cozy up, and read. Or watch movies. Or drink hot toddies. Or all of the above!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vote for all of the above! Hope you have an awesome holiday down in the land of sunshine. This is the best time of year in SLO County, I think. Perfect weather and few crowds to contend with.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is lovely! Sunny but cooler (finally). It's the first time in three yrs or so that we are using our flannel sheets. Students have gone home but there is the seasonal happy holiday vibe downtown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't forget the Polar Bear Plunge in Cayucos New Year's Day! We did it a couple of times and it was great. 55 degree temps outside and 55 degree water, so not really a difficult adjustment going into the surf.

      Delete
  3. Well....Ouch! I have a pair of ankle boots without the stiletto type heel. I have only worn them once but they weren't expensive so it doesn't matter. My new boots are tall equestrian boots with a low heel and very warm. They are perfect and I'm pretty sure won't cause me to fall. If I happen to fall, it's on me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. I joke that the older I get, the lower my heels get. I'm down to zero drop flats now. They're hard to find, and usually not fashionable but at least it cuts down on my shoe buying.

    For fancy affairs, I wear a pair of ballerina flats, which have a thick sole and good arch support for comfort.

    But what I really, really like are my leather boots. I've got a tall pair and a shorter pair that I wear with skinny jeans or black tights. I refuse to look like a granny in sensible orthopedic shoes.

    I like Altras for daily wear. Zero drop, good arch support and padding. Check out the Gobi boots from Vivobarefoot. I get lots of compliments on those.

    ReplyDelete