Tuesday, January 7, 2020

A slower year



I've been reading a lot recently about how much the passage of time speeds up as we age, and why. One theory is that as we get closer to the end of our lives, the time we have left seems to compress itself more -- with less time remaining, it seems to move faster towards the finish line. And we all know what the finish line is, for us all. Ya. What a happy thought.


 Another theory is that our measurement of time when we are younger seems subjectively extended (which is why it seemed like three years between Christmases when we were seven). But most of us feel that time in our 20s and 30s moves at about the "correct" pace -- a year feels pretty much like a year. But after our 50s and 60s, time seems to speed up to a point where the 20 years between ages 60 and 80 will apparently, for most, only feel like about 13 years or so, according to one study of seniors.


To me the most challenging aspect of this is how to feel like you're making enough time to relax and slow down time, once it starts moving more quickly. When time seems compressed, it can always feel like you are rushing off to the latest chore or outing, and that the weekdays seem to just scream by into the weekends, all bumping into each other like train cars on the downslope of a hill.


But the advent of our tiny screens, I think, has also contributed to our never feeling like we have enough time, no matter what our age. First, because our iPhones, laptops and tablets steal so much of it through fairly useless (but time-sucking) activities such as Facebook or internet surfing, and second, because we can be roused to our phones at any given moment, via the alerts that let us know we've just received an email, text, or phone call from work or from loved ones reaching out. All of which take us out of our unscheduled "time out of mind" moments, back into the drumbeat of work or social life.


I loved having this table filled with family and friends, but also the solitude which came after.
We had the entire family here at the holidays and it was pretty much what you'd expect; being busy, being seriously plugged in to other people, and constantly thinking ahead to what was next on the schedule. It was wonderful to be with everyone again, but in the time since then, I'm really trying to be more mindful of putting less into the days, if just so I can enjoy the hours passing more slowly, for now.


Busy, busy busy!
One nice thing about the Oregon winter is that the short days and rain allow you to do that; there's never a time you feel less guilty about spending the day inside with a good book than when it's raining all day and the sun's going to set at 4 p.m. (provided no one's expecting you to cook dinner for seven people). 

I know in Paso Robles, I never felt like I had a lot of free time, and that's because the weather was so nice year-round, there was usually some chore around the property I knew I needed to get after, or something to do in the  chef's garden at work, or some appointment, errand or social activity scheduled. When every day is nice, you pretty much do something every day. Which is fine for people who like to have something on the calendar all the time.



Big Ag's vineyard in Paso Robles -- where every day could be productive.

I'm hoping to enjoy more "slow time" in 2020, and to be more conscious about pulling on the reins of time a bit more and watching the hours pass at a walk rather than a gallop. It will mean more time by the fire, or the stove, or by the window, just looking out. It will mean expecting less of myself and saying "no" to more activities and events. But ultimately, I think saying no a little more to some of those things will be worth the reward. 


If it lengthens my days so that 20 years feels more like 20 instead of only 13 years, that will mean seven more years of my life handed back to me; a reward paid in the one dividend we cannot make more of -- the gain of time itself.  



Slow time in Oregon. 8 am sunrise. 


7 comments:

  1. Boy, am I feeling this. A friend who grew up in MI loved to garden -- but also, loved the break each winter. Maybe that's WHY she enjoyed gardening so much? Whereas, like you said, here in CA, it's ALWAYS time to garden, and no excuses! As the year goes on, the soil gets harder and weeds harder to pull, but they don't stop growing.

    And the gophers never stop either. Do you have gophers up there? I'm hoping with the name CA Pocket Gopher that they stop at the border. I'd move to OR just for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if we have voles or gophers, but they are here too, so don't pack your bags just yet haha! They're also about twice the size they were in CA (I've actually had to buy larger traps). At least it all slows down in winter, including vole/gopher activity. My favorite thing is that there are NO ground squirrels though, just grey tree squirrels, who are just cute and not pests at all. Hope your winter garden is growing well!

      Delete
  2. TWICE THE SIZE? This is disconcerting. I don't have a problem with ground squirrels (currently) but they are awful too. We have gray squirrels in the trees along the creek and our Dobe hates them with a passion! They just stare down, nonplussed, and flick their tails at him now and again. They do a number on our walnuts, for sure.

    I was a lazy (time-crunched?) gardener and let a few greens go to seed last season, so I have a carpet of arugula, kales, lettuces, and parsley coming up in one bed. Going up to Bay Laurel today to pick up a pomegranate and some marion berry if there are any left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Bay Laurel, so helpful and they can order anything they don't have for you. How great to have all those greens coming up! Perfect for spring salads. Pomegranates grow almost TOO well down there; I was constantly pruning mine back (and getting my arms cut up from the branches. And the owner of the winery I worked at came in one day and announced he was going to plant 30 of them on either side of his driveway....I just laughed and told him he'd better get some good gardening gloves.

      Delete
    2. Well, got a pom (just one). Sixty sounds like about 57 too many to me! But then we have room for exactly one apricot tree along our drive. Also got three marion berries. I think they bear best in cooler weather, but hoping our summer AM & PM fog might fool them.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like you are set! I think the marion berries will like your climate a lot! And one pom bush will give you more fruit than you know what to do with -- a nice problem. I really miss having them to give to my chickens when we had a surplus (which was every year). We even resorted to putting a large box of fruit in front of the house with a "free" sign at the end of the season. Have fun planting!

      Delete
    4. Oh, a surplus of fruit. Nice problem to have! And thanks!

      Delete