Thursday, April 4, 2013

Scream of the Red Fox

I was reminded, for about 40 minutes last night, that we do indeed live in an area of true ecological diversity.  At night I hear hooting and screeching owls, coyotes, and now this strange noise:




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk1mAd77Hr4

Whomever our fox is (the one above is just a clip from YouTube I found) I assume he or she is lookin' for love, as it's spring. Plus it went on far too long to be a cry of alarm, and it was a fairly regular call, happening about once every 5 seconds or so.  

But on the downside, by the time it stopped it had brought me into full, wakeful consciousness, unable to go back to sleep. But I still consider it a treat to have been able to hear this in real life. I've seen red foxes around the neighborhood, but this is the first time I've heard their call.

No comments:

Post a Comment