Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Summertime, and the projects are....

...plentiful. The projects are plentiful. And that's OK, because once the rainy season comes it will be nice to have all this done. Basically we have about two more months before the rains really set in, which is enough time to finish the outdoor projects we need to before heading indoors to a nice cup of tea and a fire. 

It sounds strange, but one of the things I like best about Oregon is that there is little to no winter gardening. In California we grew our lettuces, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower in the cooler months. I used to plant onions in fall for a December/January harvest. Last year I did the same thing and the onions weren't ready until spring. So for me, that was Mother Nature's way of telling me that in winter, things rest here. Including people. Fine by me. 


For now though, the tomato and cucumber harvests have just started coming in, which means canning. With no working kitchen, this is a challenge, but luckily I have a hot plate inside and one gas burner on our outdoor barbecue, so between them I can get it done. My grandmother said "it's always good to know how to make do with what you've got" and as you probably already know, grandma was/is always right.

And we've had some other, fun projects to work on as well. Big Ag finished the garden fencing and gate leading to the vegetable garden. Eventually we will be putting a nice door on this, but are not sure of the design yet so we'll wait and see how the spirit moves us. 



I got some awesome mason jar solar lights from my son for my birthday, so we hung those, along with two lanterns I got on Amazon. They all make cheerful light at night without using any electricity, and they shut off at dawn. I won't keep them up year-round, but in summer it sure is nice to see them.





I also finished my first barn quilt here, which we'll hang on the tall side of Big Ag's shop once the shop itself is painted in a few weeks. I have a couple of smaller quilts planned for elsewhere around the property, including a compass rose for our pump house. They are so much fun to work on.



I guess if there's one upside to COVID it's that with people being home more, they are working on their homes more. Just doing their personal part of keeping America beautiful I guess. Happy to be a part of that.

11 comments:

  1. Loved seeing the photos and wow - you are one busy woman. I have never had a garden in my life just a bunch of plants and flowers around the property. My son lives in Washington on five acres having moved there about 4 years ago and has a huge garden and in all ways they are pretty self sufficient. I really admire people (like u) that grow your own food, can, etc.. Not in my wheelhouse at all. Love the solar lanterns. Nice quilt - another thing I would love to have learned but now know I probably won't. i have a thing, ..if I start with a hobby then I have to go overboard buying stuff for it.. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That is so true! I tend to do the same thing and...as you can see I have a lot of hobbies. But I have most of my supplies bought now so it's not so bad. I envy your son having FIVE acres, we only have two and if we had more I'd keep some livestock for sure. Does he have any goats, cows, etc?

      Delete
    2. oh I envy him also. I love to visit up there - and spend most of my time outside. No livestock - he wouldn't mind getting some chickens but my daughter in law doesn't want that - but many some day. He's pretty busy with work so she has a lot of the chores to do around the place. Also homeschooling - which she has done for a few years so I think that's what is holding her back on the chicken idea. If I had a place I probably wouldn't be able not to have quite a lot of animals. Right now where we live in the mountains several of the cabins around me - we all feed the feral cats - they are all pretty wise on how to survive and definitely have enough food from all the various houses. they keep the rodents away so people love them. Three of them have made my deck their home. Two acres would be nice. We lived on an acre for years and that was a lot of work - ..but two ...wow.

      Delete
    3. Your son's place sounds wonderful, Sandy! And homeschooled kids growing up on acreage...that's a pretty perfect way to grow up. Maybe when the littles are old enough they'll want some pasture pets and will be able to take care of them. Chickens are pretty easy keepers.

      Delete
  2. That barn quilt is beautiful! I love the idea of those, have seen so many photos, but never one IRL.

    A pal of mine grew up in MI and when she mentioned that winter was a great rest from gardening, well, I thought that was the best idea ever. And no wildfires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! The strangest thing is my friends further north having to call someone out to get their irrigation systems drained before the cold weather sets in every year. We don't have to do it here, but in Eastern OR and WA they do. Hope you're faring OK down there, I saw some obscene AQI number (350?) from all the smoke drifting down into SLO. That must be awful. Stay safe!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Record temps, so much smoke and no A/C have been bad, but no fires here so far. T-storms and lightning expected tomorrow and Mon. Wishing for buckets of rain -- not likely, I know, but a good pineapple express to NorCal would be the best.

      Delete
    3. I hope the lightning stays away, for brush fire reasons. Just a good soaking rain would help so much! Just spoke to a friend in SLO yesterday who was telling me about the high temps...even at night, she said. Stay cool and I'll pray you get some rain and a cooldown. So sad about Santa Cruz and Big Sur. Irreplaceable forests.

      Delete
  3. Thanks. Yes, Big Basin and Armstrong. Redwoods are fairly fire-resistant in a world without climate change; not so much now. It is all so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you doing? Are you near any fires? I'm assuming you are probably getting the smoke like we are, orange skies, ashes, and all of it. Hope you are safe!

    ReplyDelete