Friday, October 30, 2020

Bend there, done that

While my sinuses are not equipped to live there full time, I do love the high desert. Even in California, I often found myself torn if offered the choice between a day at the ocean or the desert. It's no different in Oregon, where beauty resides on both sides of the Cascades.

We spent the day in Bend last week and enjoyed the gorgeous fall colors. I think my favorite thing about Oregon is the autumn season. It starts in late August and is still going strong at the end of October. And despite getting a lot less rainfall than we in the Willamette Valley do, Bend still has plenty of colorful autumn trees!


The Three Sisters as seen from the east.

Black Butte, made famous by Bend's own Deschutes Brewery's Black Butte Porter

And just some lovely fall color in the park near Mirror Pond







8 comments:

  1. Nice to see your photos of Bend. Love the drive from Bend to Sisters or vice versa. A couple years ago my sis and I took a road trip and spent about an hour or so walking around a Sisters' neighborhoods. Never did get to stop at Sisters Saloon because our goal was to get to my son's house in Bend. Your photos make me want to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went last autumn and were going to go back in spring and see how it looked, but COVID came along and changed all that. I felt lucky to see it in autumn again though, and someday if I'm brave enough to drive through the snow I'd love to see it in winter, too! Hope you get back there soon, it really is so lovely!

      Delete
    2. Oh winter is wonderful. I was there in January once and they had a ..i forget what they call it...but a freeze type thing for a day or so. the trees were amazing. My son took me up to Mt. Bachelor and now this reminds me i haven't seen the photos since 2014. i hope u can make it - it really is beautiful.

      Delete
    3. You are confirming it for me...we have to do this, even just for a day. If we're outside, strolling around I think we'll be safe and it will get us out of the house in the middle of winter!

      Delete
  2. Pretty! I like to see it and then: back to the coast, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice place to visit, etc. right?! My problem is that every place I visit in Oregon I can somewhat imagine myself living there, but at this point I'm running out of runway to live in 56 different places lol.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I know what you mean! I've thought that about different countries, too. If I had a chance to live in the Lake or Peak Districts in England, I think I'd hie off, STAT.

      Delete
    3. Right! Every time House Hunters International goes to Italy or southern France, I wonder if I could pull off living there. We probably could, but I wouldn't want to be that far from our kids, so not gonna happen in this lifetime.

      Delete