Friday, January 20, 2012

Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law seems to work so well I'm surprised most of us don't put it to better use.  The other day, for instance, I finished mopping the floor about 5 minutes before someone with muddy feet happened to walk in there and mess it all up.  A few years ago, I had my carpets professionally cleaned, and not 24 hours afterwards my daughter spilled an entire bottle of Tempra paint on the newly-cleaned carpet in her room.  


It's not just flooring where Murphy's Law happens, either.  Make an extravagant purchase for $300 because you're sure you're all caught up on your bills, and just watch when a $300 bill for something you'd forgotten about shows up in the mail a day or so later.  Ugh.  It's so predictable it's not even funny. 


Murphy's Law never fails, so it seems to me we might as well all start using it for our benefit instead of only to our annoyance and/or dismay.


 I'm about to go outside and water my raised beds, for instance, and if I do this I am pretty sure it will begin raining right after I finish up.  I could wash my car and park it outside and the same thing would probably happen.  This would be good, because our state is in a pretty severe state of drought right now, so it might actually be worth all my wasted time and effort.  I'm just taking one for the team.  


And there's a concert in town at the Fox Theatre I'd really like to see this May, and I was thinking that if I buy tickets now, it pretty much guarantees we'll have sold our house and no longer be living in the area by the time The Big Night comes along. The small price of the tickets would surely be offset by making the real estate sale on our ideal timeline, right? Murphy's Law seems to be a kind of universal law dictating outcomes, so in my genius I have figured all I need to do is start using it to my advantage.  I'll let you know how things turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment