Saturday, February 4, 2012

An early spring

As I write this, the temperature is nearing the 70 degree mark, the sun is shining and it's a lovely spring day.  In the 20 or so years that I've lived here, I've seen the start of spring move up by at least a week or two.  It used to be that sometime after Valentine's Day, you would see a gradual warming, blossoms on the numerous fruit and nut trees, and less and less fog.  But now that process seems to start at the end of January....a small shift, but I believe a significant one.


I could go on a rant here about climate change, because you'd have to be either blind or completely ignorant not to see the shift, but instead I will only say that I do enjoy the longer spring. The longer summer that inevitably comes after it, not so much.


So just for today, I'm not going to stress over it.  Just for today, I will forego worrying globally in favor of enjoying locally -- the blossoms, the sun, and the life renewed in the earth, even if it has come early.  

No comments:

Post a Comment