Sunday, February 12, 2012

Standing

In my former life in Los Angeles, I was a public relations executive. It was the Era of The Yuppie, and I was pretty much the quintessential yuppie.  I took my job terrifically seriously, and was one of those PR types who wakes up at 3 am and jots down ideas, sketches out campaigns, and creates events to help increase their clients' positive profiles.  I attending meetings, mixers, networking and community events until late in the evening many nights, and there was rarely a Saturday I didn't go into work for at least a few hours.


In short, I was obsessively dedicated.  And I'm finding that trait, which served me so well in my professional life, is somewhat problematic in my personal one.  Take our house hunt, for instance. Did you know that if you check the MLS listings 50 times a day, it does not actually change much?  Who knew? Did you know that it's a pretty useless use of energy to wake up at 3 am jotting down ideas about a house you only made a backup offer on, which won't even be considered for at least 60 days? And lastly, that all those things interfere with your faith?


Yes, sometimes we are simply called to stand.  We are called on to trust in The Lord and let him bring our destiny to us in good time.  Yes, you have to stay awake and aware so as not to miss what He may bring you, but to obsess on the issue is actually the opposite of having faith, and leads you away from the peace and joy that is in the present.  You also have to replace all the energy you'd put into obsessively worrying and instead stay in His word and stand on the promises you find there.  Just stand.


So every day, I now remind myself that I need to rest in hope, peace and joy, knowing that God knows my needs and will supply them abundantly.  My obsessive dedication may be a plus in certain situations, but it's simply not needed here.  I could ramrod a future down everyone's throat and then discover that if I'd only trusted a little bit more, God would have delivered the perfect future in his own time and season.

No comments:

Post a Comment