Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Few Days Away



On Saturday I boarded an Amtrak for Los Angeles to visit my son for Mother's Day.  It was a nice mini-vacation away from the homestead and its chores.  My son is in college and therefore does not have any animals and his one farming endeavor consists of a single tomato plant in his backyard.  So there were leisurely days of waking up and simply having coffee, and heading off to bed without checking livestock or watering crops.  Nice. We had an amazing brunch on Sunday at a place called The Sagebrush Cantina, complete not only with the usual champagne and massive breakfast and lunch fare, but also an oyster bar and a guy serving fruit-infused vodka shooters (I had strawberry and it was amazing).  Happy Mother's Day, indeed!


Nonetheless, despite all that fun, I was still glad to be home and out of the city.  Los Angeles is a vibrant, exciting city with plenty to do, but it's not home.  I missed Big Ag, missed our property, and missed the quiet of the area.  But a break from the routine is almost always a good thing, because it makes you appreciate what you have, and of course it is always wonderful to see my son.  

And now, back to my life's regularly scheduled programming


2 comments:

  1. Oh how very nice you got a few days away. It certainly does endear home closer to the heart, doesn't it? That's a very interesting display on the buffet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was a water fountain with some kind of cabbage supporting it. Luckily the food was better than the decorations, lol!

      Delete