Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Spring in the forest

Last weekend Big Ag and I went to the Peavy Arboretum in Corvallis, which is not so much a flower arboretum as a forest arboretum for students majoring in Forestry Studies at OSU. But as with most forests, there is much plant and insect life under the pine canopy, and plenty of beautiful mini-meadows in the spaces between. One thing I love about Oregon is the abundant hiking trails, and this place was no different. We could have wandered for days through this preserve. Where we lived before you had to travel a good 40 minutes to get to the good hiking trails near the beach, here there is great hiking 10 minutes down the road. Hopefully this will be an incentive to stay in shape! 


Telephone pole pastoral.

The garter snakes in Oregon are orange and black. My Giants fan husband was thrilled.

Experimental forest

Sunbreak in the meadow

A land slug the size of my hand!


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! How fun to discover new-to-you flora and fauna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun! But also a little disconcerting to know so little about stuff up here. I was a native Californian so had a lifetime to learn about all things California. Whole new ball game here!

      Delete
  2. My son lived in Portland for a short time and I was only there once. Never had time to explore. Hiking is my favorite hobby. So much fun to discover new trails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, there's enough hiking around here to keep a person busy for a very long time! That's one of my favorite things about the area.

      Delete