Friday, March 8, 2019

Overwhelmed

So right now I'm slightly....OK, actually more-than-slightly overwhelmed at what we've taken on at the new house. As per usual, there is a lot we've learned since closing escrow that has added to our to-do list and will put a strain on our wallet. There are busted window casings, broken blinds, and garage doors that don't open. Is it ever any other way? Do people ever buy houses without hemorrhaging money for the first six months? 

I'm not even gonna list all the things that need to be done, because it will probably make me cry if I see it all written down in one place, and I don't think you have that long to read it all anyway. But some of it has to happen before we move, and the rest will be done by us (long) after we're in.  I don't even have a date for moving right now, because as I said....some things have to get done first, which means I'm relying on The Guys (collective term for the Flooring Guy, the LockSmith Guy, the Tile Guy, the Windows Guy, the Contractor Guy, and the Garage Door Guy) to start work on the things that are on the Before We Move list.


That's right, I'm expecting contractors to show up and complete work on time. Clearly I have lost my mind already.

But once we're in, I suspect I'll have projects going on for literally years. And since I actually like projects, this may be the most perfect house ever for me. But looking at it from the start is a little like staring up at a skyscraper you are about to climb. Hopefully once you get past the 10th floor it'll get easier. Hopefully.






In the meantime, I'm enjoying our last few weeks in The Vineyard House. The Vineyard House is like good, strong alcohol...incredibly enjoyable until it gives you a headache. I will miss the views, the grand trees in the back, and the quiet -- but not the total isolation or the fact that something died under the house recently and is causing intermittent stinkage. Neither Big Ag or myself feels inclined to crawl into the crawlspace and inspect, and the company does not seem to be inclined either. They already have this place rented out when we move, so I guess the new employee/tenants will have to deal with it.


I also had the fun experience of having a mouse living INSIDE my car recently, which stays in the barn when I'm not driving it. One electronic trap later and I have solved that problem. But living in a working vineyard has its drawbacks, I'm tellin' ya.  Yet I will miss it deeply. How dysfunctional is that?


So in the overwhelming moments, I'm having to just breathe deeply and remain in the present. After all, how does one eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Of course this situation is actually TWO elephants. One elephant is this house (packing and readying to move) and the other is the new house (unpacking, projecting and making it  a livable home). But taking it all in good time all any of us can do when faced with a pages-long to-do list...







5 comments:

  1. Oh, sorry for more work than you bargained for but that does seem to be the way -- at least in my experience. Hope you find good people to work with, that always inspires confidence if your own starts to flag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! We had the Floor Guy out last night and I have to say, I felt a lot better after talking to him. Home repairs are MUCH cheaper here than they were back home, which means we can do more with less. And it will look great when it's done, so....a necessary evil!

      Delete
    2. Just the fact that Floor Guy was out last night is a great start! I'm happy to get return phone calls.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I dread the day if/when we decide to move. Sorry you're going through this when all you want to do is settle into your new home....with ease. Good Luck with the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! Sometimes I think the longer we live in one place the less we remember how difficult it is to move lol!.Kind of like labor pains, we forget until we are experiencing them again! Hopefully the outcome, like labor, will be worth it. : )

      Delete