Wednesday, July 3, 2019

All the little things

It's been a year of big things but a summer of little things. Little things are, after all, what ultimately makes the world go 'round, whether for good or bad. A magical day is usually comprised of a bunch of good little things. The Roman Empire fell because of a series of bad ones.

Around the homestead we are finally in the swing of growing, picking, and prettying up outside, and touching up, refining, and replacing inside. I'm in the process of painting all the trim upstairs white, which means a little bit of painting, every day. And I've also been refinishing the oak trim downstairs, removing old water damage on the sills, and re-sealing with stain and polyurethane clear coat. Every day there is some little thing inside this house that's improved upon. Or outside. And that feels good. Because even if it takes 1,000 little improvements, once they're all done it will add up to the house looking great -- one big win for us. 

I don't know about you, but I actually enjoy a series of little tasks so much more than one large one. If I can spend my days doing 11 completely different things -- outside for this, inside for that, I'm generally pretty happy. In high school, I was a sprinter, never having been any good at distances. Perhaps it's the same principle. Put forth a little burst of energy for one thing, rest, then move on to the next thing. 

Here's a little of what we've been up to around here:


There's always laundry, but no rain means drying outside.

pumpkin dog biscuits

 

Cukes, zukes and tomatoes coming along nicely. Big Ag did a fantastic job on these raised beds, and the hay bales in the back will be planted soon, too!
Goodbye oak trim. Hello crisp white paint. Wall painting next!

Speaking of painting....exterior house painting coming in September!

A country bouquet to brighten up the house.



10 comments:

  1. How satisfying it is, to cross things off the list! Not to mention seeing the progress as you go. I, too, like a bunch of small tasks (so much more manageable, and so quickly finished!). And I was a sprinter in high school, too. Hmmmm...

    Are you familiar with the term kaizen? It is a Japanese word meaning continual, small improvements. There is an interesting book about the concept by Robert Maurer, PhD, called One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way. It applies to so many aspects of life and the things we need to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you for that recommendation! It sounds right up my alley -- I will head off to Amazon to look it up in a minute. Summer is such a great time for finding new books to read. We should probably name this place Kaizen Farm at the rate we are going lol. What races were your specialty? I did 100 meter and 100 meter hurdles. Substituted for someone in the 400 meters once and just about died. People tell me they've done half or full marathons and I just shake my head. Couldn't do it in a million years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you still have borrowing privileges it's in our local library here as an e-book, I think.

    Hurdles were NOT my thing, I sprang over them like a gazelle. BOING!! I caught a lot of air. I ran the 100m and 4x100m relay, also did long jump (but not triple jump). NO interest in long runs, ever, unless I was on my horse. Whee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not give up my borrowing privileges, so I'll check, thanks! And I think horses make us look like rank amateurs where running is concerned lol. They've got us on speed AND distance!

      Delete
    2. Were you able to get it? Our library here is an amazing resource (open 7 days a week now!). So grateful when libraries are being curtailed and shut down in so many places. I listen to books on Overdrive when I'm doing chores or driving. When I'm gardening, I prefer to hear the birds and the creek, unless I'm in front and it's just traffic. And I check out books by the armful. So.many.books....

      Absolutely about horses -- he allowed me to wander all around MdO and explore places I never would have on foot. My fave view has always been between the ears of a horse. :)

      Delete
  4. I looked in the Black Gold catalog and they said they did not have it, at least not on Overdrive.. I may have to try one of their other suggested online resources. I go on jags with reading; right now I am reading like crazy but other times I go for a couple of months without looking a a book. Sprinting those short distances once again lol, because when I do start a book, I tend to gobble it up quickly and have been known to put off all sorts of important things while I finish a book I get drawn into. I do miss having a horse and riding, but may get a pasture pal in our back pasture once it's time to add animals. Goats and sheep are another option but I know much more about horse care than either of those! Are you still riding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, not on Overdrive, it's an e-book via Hoopla. I read it on my laptop.

      I can do the same with books, when I find a good one: down the rabbit hole I go! But a lot of the books I check out are for browsing: cookbooks, edible gardening, and preserving and fermenting (so many plums! and apricots!).

      No horse currently, he died at at a ripe old age. If I ever have the space, I'd love to have a horse again and would definitely get a few goats and sheep just for the dairy and fiber. Whethers often have the best fiber, so I'd keep 'em rather than eat 'em. And goats are great for brush control (and escaping all your fencing). And I'd get a llama to watch over the smalls because they are tough! And I like them.

      Delete
    2. I envy your apricots and plums! I think we have about 7 apple trees on this property...like anyone needs that many?! Big Ag is currently working on fencing and I'm excited about the livestock possibilities though. But we may do one big Europe trip before we buy more livestock friends, just to keep things simple while we're gone. Llamas would be great, but they always look as if they're judging you, cocking their chins back into their necks and chewing the way they do. Everytime I drive by our neighbors' llamas I shake my head and say, "SO judgemental!" But I'm probably reading things into their expressions that aren't there haha.

      Delete
  5. Same on traveling; I've spent my life with animals: dogs, cats, horses, chickens. It's hard to find a good housesitter to hold down the fort and pretty much impossible when animals become old and ill and there is a complex choreography of meds and management.

    Husband and I are planning to travel to UK to visit kiddo but will go separately; not as awful as it sounds because we have different interests (gardens & museums my priority, and they're way down his list -- especially gardens). So, she'll get to do different things with us and we'll each get our own time with her showing us around.

    And I don't think you're imagining judgmental llamas. Pretty sure that's exactly how they are! And I'm here for it. :) Seriously though, I think it's why they're such good guardians, they keep a sharp eye out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great that you're going to the UK! That's where we'll be headed too as I have family there. And you're right, good house sitters who are also farm-sitters are VERY hard to find!

      Delete