Sunday, July 28, 2019

Fried Squash Blossoms

To me, fried squash blossoms are what homesteaders would have if they held carnivals or fairs featuring homestead "junk food." They are basically blossoms stuffed with a few different types of cheeses (feta, cream and parmesean in this case), plus a few herbs (thyme, parsley, sage) mixed in, prepped and fried in olive oil and served with the dipping sauce of your choice (I do a half yogurt/half sour cream sauce with sumac, lemon and garlic). 

Despite having all natural ingredients, they are still not quite the healthiest food you could have, I'm certain. Like anything that's cheesy and fried, enough of them could probably clog up the old arteries quite nicely. Luckily they are the very essence of seasonal food, so your window of temptation is relatively brief.

And they are beyond delicious. Picking the blossoms for this even has the unintended consequence of slowing down your zucchini harvest, which, if you're like me, may be a good thing since with even just one plant we are overrun with zukes. 

So pick on and fry on, friends. Summer only comes but once a year, after all, and before you know it the season will be over, these blossoms will be gone, and you will have to wait another year before you can indulge again.

Stuffed and ready.

I use a coating of egg followed by a whole wheat flour/breadcrumb mix.

Mmm. Almost there...

Perfection on a summer afternoon. 


4 comments:

  1. Those look DELICIOUS. I've never done this -- do you use male and/or female flowers? No squash growing this season, might try this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only use the male flowers, and remove the anther inside before stuffing so I have more room for cheese. I think I saw squash blossoms for sale at the Templeton Farmer's Market, so maybe someone has them there, or in the SLO or A-town farmer's markets, I could literally eat them every day in summer, but I hate to think what it would do to my cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, probably SLO market as well, will have a look. They grow so fast, could probably get some blossoms if I plant soon, with our warmer weather lasting into beg October, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. As they grow really fast I bet you'd have blossoms by September up through first freeze since they are planted late. Might be nice!

      Delete