Friday, March 2, 2012

He's back

I was finally able to re-capture the dove who has been living, free range, in our back yard for the last couple of years.  He got out way back then and I was unable to catch him.  But as he stayed around the back yard and ate out of the community bird feeder I have up, I didn't worry too much. 


But now that we're moving soon, it became important to catch him and relocate him with us.  After all, there's no guarantee the new owners will want to keep a bird feeder around, and since that's his main source of sustenance, leaving him here to potentially starve was not an option.  So this morning he was sitting on our doorstep and I easily re-captured him -- just picked him up.  That is not a good thing, because a healthy bird should not be so easy to catch.  So I have him in an isolation aviary, where he seems comfortable -- he is eating and is alert, yet still seems a bit sluggish.


This could mean several things:  He could be ill or have eaten something bad.  He could have flown into a window and is not quite himself again yet.  Or, since we've had storms and wind, he could just be tired of fending for himself and is ready to come out of the wind and rain and be protected once again.  No matter what, I am glad he is back under my care again.  While I loved watching him fly free, I agonized over what would happen to him once we left and his food source went away.  I see his return as an omen that we are, indeed, leaving soon.  And that's a very good omen to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment