Sunday, October 7, 2012

A menopausal memo

I've figured out that the two things that interfere with my post-menopausal night's sleep the most are alcohol (specifically wine) and sugar.  Of course alcohol is basically sugar, so sugar is probably the lone culprit when it comes down to brass tacks.  I love sugar.  But I also love sleeping the sleep of childhood, where my rest is thick, deep, sweet and I awaken after a full 8 hours slightly groggy but incredibly refreshed.  

I love wine and I love baked goods, but apparently when I have either (or both) several days in a row, its my sleep cycle that suffers.  I awaken at 4 am, unable to return to sleep, too warm, and tossing and turning.  

But I am still able to have exactly two squares of 72% dark chocolate, daily, to no ill effect, so that's been my go-to treat recently.  

I will never completely give up chocolate eclairs, or a good cabernet, but taken too many days in succession, my body is simply telling me they are not good for me. OK.  Message received.

No comments:

Post a Comment