Friday, October 19, 2012

In the cloud

Today it's drizzling fog, which is a nice change from the warm, sunny weather we've been having the last couple of weeks.  I'm not complaining about either one; the warm sun is lovely and not overbearing at this point in the season.  But it's the change that's refreshing.

We live at the top of a hill, about 1500 feet up, so while those below us would call this weather a low overcast or marine layer, for us up here on the hilltop we're right in the midst of the cloud. So it's foggy and wet, which is something for which I'm profoundly thankful.  We live among dry brush, and so any gift from above that can provide moisture is profoundly appreciated.  It helps keep us safe.

I love being in the cloud.  It reminds me of when I worked at Griffith Observatory and we'd have nights when we would also be up in the cloud. Up on that hill, I'd also stand outside in the drizzling wetness you get if you're in the magic zone -- about 1500 feet above sea level and within striking distance of the ocean. I'd walk out to my car after work at about 11 pm, and feel the light spray of the drizzle on my face and in my hair.  I'd use the windshield wipers until I got down to the bottom of the hill and Los Feliz Blvd., when the weather went back to being a regular overcast.  I had descended from the cloud and it felt like coming back into the corporeal world, after leaving the mystical one. 

This weather pattern is familiar to me, and yet another thing that makes me feel like I've come home.

This morning the chickens and animals are all out and about, enjoying the dampness.  My seed beds are also grateful for the cool, and are sprouting winter lettuce, onions, chives, scallions, and carrots.  Later today I will head over to the garden center and see about picking up some broccoli and cauliflower transplants.

It's a good life here in the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment