Saturday, January 31, 2015

More carrot soup and an accident

Using the last of the carrot harvest for another batch of that delicious carrot-ginger soup I made a couple of weeks ago.  But in the midst of pureeing the carrots, the blender caught fire and had to be placed outside. Now the house smells like an odd combination of ginger and burning small motor.

I feel it's often the best meals that set off the smoke detector, so I'm hoping the same applies to appliance demolition.

 RIP, Oster Blender, and may a choir of angels sing thee to thy rest.


  1. haha all my neighbors know that when I open all the windows and smoke billows out that dinner's almost ready, and unless I'm out there screaming there's no need to call 911! The final half hour of cooking is often smokey...but yuck! No worse smell than burning plastic. Gross! Glad there was some ginger to soften it.

  2. Oh, that is too funny, glad it is not just me then! The soup was great and I tried the blender again and it's working, so I think it just got very overheated for some reason -- I thought the smoke was because it caught fire but maybe not. Carrots are not a hard thing to puree, so I'm not sure what the problem was. Oh well, anytime the house doesn't burn down and you get a great meal I call that success. Good luck with your Superbowl party tomorrow -- hope you see less kitchen smoke than I did today!