Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Mutant



So yesterday I was cleaning up the vegetable beds, getting ready for spring planting when I finally pulled this baby out of the ground.

It has been growing for at least a year, probably more like 16 months if I'm remembering correctly when I planted fall carrots (August of 2015).

Giant Mutant Carrot, as I am calling it, was as long as my forearm and thicker than my wrist. It was left to its own devices in a bed of onions I watered but only harvested a few of, and for some reason it never went to seed and just kept growing.  So yesterday I decided it's time had come. 

It was flavorful and delicious, despite the scary appearance. But since it was so old, I decided to use it in a carrot cake instead of serving it straight up as a vegetable.

It was pure mutant deliciousness!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Haha I have a terrible joke but I won't disrespect your blog with it. Glad it went to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh trust me, a couple of Facebook friends made jokes already. My friend Hal said it reminded him of his ex lol.

    ReplyDelete