Friday, February 22, 2019

It's official




We are homeowners again! Escrow has closed and we now legally own our own sweet little farm-ette. We won't be moving right away as the family/former owners asked for a few weeks to rent back to us, but we'll begin doing some repairs right after they vacate and will begin moving a couple of weeks after that.

I am already looking to purchase a couple of livestock animals to help us keep the grasses down, so stay tuned for that! And my hens will once again have their own chicken house, which will make life a lot easier for me, as it will need a little less cleaning and they'll have more room to roam around inside when it rains. 

So with this move will come a return to a simple, less carbon-intensive lifestyle, which I can't wait for. The old adage of "you don't know what you got 'till it's gone," is true when it comes to homesteading. There is not only common sense and environmental responsibility, but also pleasure and comfort to be found in things like re-using instead of buying new, composting, growing your own food and hanging your wash. (Since I've brought it up about ten times, can you tell how much I really miss drying my wash outdoors? Every day here it doesn't rain I think to myself, "If I had a clothesline I could do a load of wash and hang it out right now." 

So the order of moving will be from least important to most important items, with professional movers coming on the final day to take all the furniture we can't lift ourselves. I miss the college/LA days of having rattan Pier One furniture, masonry brick-and-wood stacked shelving, and art posters in plastic frames, all of which I could move by myself if necessary! 

Those were the days. Milk crates and DIY shelves.

And in a great Murphy's Law Conundrum, two of my three kids will be here visiting the week we're getting down to the nitty-gritty. Which probably means lots of take-out food, driving around showing them things, and of course having them move some stuff for us. Just so they feel useful and needed, of course. Ya, that's it. 

So maybe the simple, eco-friendly life will have to wait another week or so after we move. But it'll come. I know that now. And just in time for spring! There will be flowers and veggies to plant, animals to bring home, and the art of turning a house into a home. I cannot wait to show you around the new place and get to work making it our own.






4 comments:

  1. Ooh, what sort of livestock to keep your grass down? I live for the day I can have a few heritage breeds of sheep, but then I'm a spinner/knitter/weaver.

    And congrats on your new digs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! We are weighing our options. Gotta be something big enough to not be in danger from raptors (so no pygmy goats) but small enough that we can easily handle them. So much fun to think of different sheep, goats, donkeys or even small cattle!

      Delete
  2. Llamas are good guard animals and donkeys can be, too, though they are loud. Are coyotes a concern at your new place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, up here there seems to be more of a threat from mountain lions than coyotes. We'll have to talk to the neighbors and see what predators are around once we're living there. Llamas would be fun though!

      Delete