Monday, February 4, 2019

Packing up (again) is hard to do. Not.

Hello, new farm!

Farewell, Mouse Turd Manor.

If I wasn't so happy to have found a home, I might be bummed that we have to pack up and move again so soon -- for the second time in one year, for those keeping track. But I'm quite grateful to be doing so. In many ways it will be great to get out of this rental -- a run-down, manufactured home I aptly named "Mouse Turd Manor," when we moved in (although we've since eliminated the rodent issue, at least inside the house). But the property is way too close to a dairy and the accompanying stinky dairy lagoon, and too far away from other neighbors to have made any connections there.  It's not exactly close to town, either. Great views though. I'll miss those.


The views from the front door of Mouse Turd Manor are mystical and magical. The dairy smell, not so much.

And since this time it's 1) a cross-town move, and 2) a move that will be done over about a month's time, it will be a lot less painful than moving to a new state, like last time. In the 20+ moves I've made as an adult, a local move, done over two or three weeks, is the least painful and most easily-organized way to move, by far. Take a carload or two a day over to the new place, UNPACK IT, empty the boxes, return and refill the boxes for the next run. Have the furniture movers show up on the last day and move everything you can't lift and load yourself.

Not having a ton of boxes to unpack reduces the number of items you'll have to go box-diving for in your first few weeks at your new place significantly. In other words, you'll know where your spatulas are when you need them. I always try and put unpacked items in the same places they are now, at least for the first few months I'm there. This means, if your picnic basket and carpet cleaner reside in the closet of the bedroom where the blue quilt is on the bed, they should go into that exact place in your new home, if possible. You'll feel a lot less cognitive dissonance that way and you can always move them later on to different places, once you're more settled in.

But the things I'm looking forward to the most are the things that were just too inconvenient or impossible to do here. Stuff like growing significant amounts of food, canning, preserving, hanging wash out to dry, using the solar oven, having a dedicated space for my chickens, and having garbage and recycling pick-up. Those are all things I'm looking forward to having available again. Move to a new place and you'll find out quickly the things your soul needs, and mine needs that stuff. I've felt like a boat without an anchor without being tied to the seasons and the land in those very meaningful ways. And I really miss homegrown food. 

I'm even looking forward to having some farm neighbors again.  Boy, I never thought I'd feel this way, especially after we lived next to that one guy next door who blasted "Radar Love" by Golden Earring on his patio every single Saturday morning when he was out working on his property. While I love the quiet, neighbors (patio speakers notwithstanding) can really help you feel part of a community. Even if you don't like their music, at least you know they are over there. 

And so March will be Moving Month. We'll also be putting in a new well pump, doing some minor septic repairs, painting, cleaning, and refinishing some hardwood floors. It will be great to post pics and write about what's going on, because it's going to be a lot!







4 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Being able to take your time with the move will make it much easier. Are you near Corvallis? I can't remember. Looking forward to photos once you're in and start making it your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise! We will be closer to Salem than Corvallis. Corvallis has a bit of a housing crunch and is more expensive, so we chose this instead. Plus we liked the idea of being near a good-sized city -- closer to great medical facilities as well as Portland and the airport. Glad to see you guys are getting plenty of rain! Spring will be incredible there!

      Delete
  2. 20+ moves as an adult? I've made 2 moves in 40 years, although if I had my way, we would make one more move and that would be to Arizona. When we downsized, I wondered how I would adjust to the smaller space. It took me about one day. I absolutely love having a smaller space. Less to clean and more time to spend doing what I love - hiking and dog shows.

    Oddly enough, even this smaller space is starting to feel a little too roomy. I am feeling the pull to live in the southwest. My living space can be small, as long as the outdoors around me are large. There is so much to see out west that it would take years to explore it all.

    Now to convince my husband...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is probably the best time of year to try and convince him...when it's cold there and sunny out west! I had to do some convincing with my husband, and it took several years, but if it's a move for a better life, eventually he'll realize it. So I made 90 percent of those moves in my 20's, when I rarely stayed in any apartment in Los Angeles more than a year at a time...roommate situations would shift, as would finances, so it wasn't unusual for me to stay in a place for six months and then find a new one. Very college-like. But since then we've still actually moved about every seven years or so, so I'm hoping we'll be in the house for even longer than average!

      Delete