Friday, December 9, 2011

The humble rake


Everyone has at least one task involving manual labor that they love, often irrationally. Homesteaders usually eschew machines for many of their household tasks, but they still have some manual-labor chores that are more loved than others. Mine is raking leaves.  Unless they're stuck in the mulch, I can usually tidy up a yard with a rake much faster than I could with one of those annoying leaf blowers.  When I use the rake, I can still hear the birds sing.  I burn some calories.  And I use no gasoline or oil, and make no air pollution whatsoever.  Plus there's a certain zen to gently clearing the ground of leaves on a cold fall or winter afternoon and sweeping them into a pile.


Often when I drive into town I see the gardeners with gasoline packs strapped onto their backs, blowing (more often than not) dirt off the sidewalk, or leaves out of the dirt.  Sometimes I want to hand them a rake and a broom, and show them how much more efficient these tools really are.  And I can't really believe that lugging around a gasoline backpack and waving a heavy plastic hose -- plus wearing a face mask and ear plugs all day long -- is either saving labor or making the tasks more pleasurable.  Plus, what's the point of working as a gardener if you can't even spend your days listening to the birds sing?

No comments:

Post a Comment