Saturday, December 31, 2011

Should old acquaintance be forgot

...and never brought to mind?  That's how the traditional New Year's song goes, anyway.  The last few days have been spent looking at houses out west of here, and meeting with realtors both on the buying and selling end of things. We also rented a storage space to hold some furniture and stuff we need to clear out, in order to make our current home look a bit less cluttered and sellable.


 I can't help but wonder how we'll feel when we look back on what we did this last week of 2011, or if we'll look back on it at all.  Will we fondly and nostalgically call to mind this house, which is currently being stripped of all its personal quirks and personality in order to make it more attractive to buyers?  Will we recall standing in line at WalMart this morning, buying storage tubs,  plus cheesecake and champagne for later on?  Will we idealize and wax nostalgic over the years spent here, in this home, this neighborhood, or this geographic area? Or will New Year's 2012 be a celebration of thankfulness and joy that we got the heck out of here and took our little tribe over the hills to a place with cleaner air, more scenic surroundings and better career opportunities?


Here is what I am hoping:  That exactly 365 days from today I will take a moment, perhaps in front of a nice fire or woodstove or maybe standing out in a field behind our house with chickens and goats busy around my feet, gaze off into the distance for a moment, and think back on today.  I hope I'm thankful to God for my blessings. I hope I reflect on the journey taken, reflect on how far we came in 2012, and feel proud and satisfied. I hope our family, especially our children, are well and happy pursuing the lives of their choice, and I hope the same for everyone who reads this.


I hope that wherever we are living 365 days from today, that we'll all remember to take that cup of kindness yet for Auld Lang Syne.

No comments:

Post a Comment