Monday, November 12, 2012

So Excited!

About a week ago I left a voicemail with a local nature conservancy, offering to become a volunteer.  This afternoon they called me back, and I was thrilled to speak to the woman in the office, and excited to hear about the many opportunities they have for those who want to help.

This conservancy covers an area where I spent many happy hours over the last 20 years.  Sometimes, it was just a day trip, and other times, I'd come for longer.  I walked the ocean bluffs with my son and my mother, and later on,with my new husband and stepkids.  Over the years, we've brought friends along and shown them the magic of the place.  Being there has always provided me joy, solace, peace, hope and comfort, and the idea of giving something back to it, helping keep it great and even make it better, makes me so happy.

On Saturday I will go and help scatter native grass seeds in areas where it is sparse.  And I will see what else lies in store for me as I get more involved.  The one thing I know is that it is important to BE involved.  As I was brought out of the place we lived into this paradise, I realize how important it is to give back, as a way of saying thanks to God and as a way of keeping it beautiful and vital for generations to come.

You can throw money at causes like this, and that is, of course, appropriate, because some preservation can only happen when dollars get spent. But if you have the time, it's also important to give that as well.  For years I had young children at home and couldn't  commit to much, due to their needs and schedules, but at this point in my life, I can.  As much as it makes me sad sometimes that my kids have grown and gone on with their lives, knowing I can still contribute something important for the greater good makes me happy.

Today, I am thankful for being able to do that.  And I'm excited about Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment