Monday, November 26, 2012

We've traced the problem, and it's coming from inside your house, ma'am

I've been having trouble sleeping recently.  Some of the cause is allergies and some is the heat.  Heat in November?  You bet.  My room may be a cool 65 degrees, but I sleep better in an even cooler room.  And realizing that, I've started opening the window at night and resting a box fan on the sill again, in order to keep more cool air coming in.  

Last night it was a brisk 32 degrees outdoors.  I am guessing it was somewhere in the 40's in my room.  Yet I slept like a baby.  At no time did I wake up thrashing and kicking all the blankets off while simultaneously breaking a sweat.  I was cool and happy all night long.

The other odd thing was the allergies, though.  I'd been plagued by waking up at 4 am with sneezing and a runny nose.  And I was afraid if I opened the windows, my symptoms would get worse.  Instead, it's quite the opposite....the open window seems to provide clean, moist air that I have no problems breathing, without sneezes or nose-blowing.

51 years after birth, my body is still a mystery to me.  I know it and its little foibles well, but it's workings -- the genesis of why it does what it does -- are still a mystery to me.

But like the best horror films, sometimes the source of the problems comes not from ourselves or some outside influence, from literally from something inside the house.  Literally.  My body appears better able to cope with the natural, outdoor ambient air quality and temperature in this area far better than the artificial temperature and air quality inside my home.  Go figure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment