Friday, February 1, 2013

Hit By a Farm




I'm sitting here at the computer and my legs are sore, my feet are sore, my back is sore and my shoulders are on fire.  I worked on the hill all day long, planting berry vines and bushes.  Blueberries need acidic soil and a lot of space to put in shallow roots, so the first order of the day was digging four foot wide holes and amending the soil.  Then came 15 more holes for the ollalieberries.  

But in between digging for the blueberries and ollalieberries, my neighbor walked up our pasture and we plopped ourselves down in the grass and visited for about an hour.  We recently started attending community parties in the neighborhood, held once a month on a rotating basis at different people's houses.  It's been great to get to know those we live around, and it's even better when one of them comes calling on a sunny morning and you can sit on a hill and shoot the breeze instead of digging holes.  This particular gal moved in about the same time as we did, so we're both newcomers here, and it was fun to compare notes on life here in wine country.

But even with that lovely break, today was really hard work, and all I want right now is a giant, fresh salad from the garden and some of Groceries' and Big Ag's leftover pizza from last night....and a cold beer.  Maybe two.  



Today was the life of a farmer....up early, out in the field and no shower 'till evening time.  I walked into our house and gulped down about a quart of fresh water from our well and stretched out my sore limbs.  This evening (hopefully) I will spend resting and recovering so I can get out there and do it all again tomorrow.  

Hit by a farm....is there any better or more pleasurable condition?


No comments:

Post a Comment