Saturday, March 16, 2013

I love this!

Big Ag and Groceries made me this lovely raised bed last weekend, specifically for herbs. (They also almost came to mano y mano blows over the geometric specifications of a triangular raised bed, but that's a story for another day.  Everyone lived.) It's about 5 x 5 x 5. Since it won't get as much re-planting as the other beds will, we decided to make it a little more decorative, hence the triangular shape and the end posts, which were left over from our front yard project.  

It is, as you can see, also lined at the bottom with wire, to prevent pesky gophers from dining on what we are growing.  We do this with all our beds, and even when planting berries and trees directly into the ground, because gophers are a huge problem around here.

I just love it, and can't wait to begin filling it with oregano, thyme and parsley to pick and use when I'm cooking something that needs those spices.  If I have room I may even add some sage, some chamomile and some cilantro.


4 comments:

  1. I love the posts. It definitely gives it a decorative look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think so too. I kind of wish we'd done them all like this!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh I love it! As a bonafide herb addict, I can't wait to see your new herb bed!! Although I think you'll soon need two, three, four more... :) rosemary in the middle would look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just shopping for the few herbs I bought this weekend, I can see how growing them could turn into an addiction....so many varieties of everything, with each one bringing something different to meals! It would be so much fun to experiment with!

      Delete