Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Marriage Equality for All!



This wonderful logo has gone viral today; although I was at the winery for bottling day and did not see it until I got home, I quickly added it to my Facobook profile.  It's in favor of marriage equality for all, which the Supreme Court is currently hearing arguments both for and against this week.

The taboo against "out" gays has been fading away for a long time, and all of the arguments against them having the right to live their lives as they wish have been leaking water like the Titanic after its close encounter with the iceberg.  But there's still a long way to go.  And in the meantime, our nation's uber-conservatives are throwing every argument they can against the idea of gay marriage.

Marriage is for the procreation of children, they say?  Well, OK.  Then we'd better ban child-free couples and anyone over 55 from marrying, since those unions can't, or won't produce offspring.

Marriage is a bond sanctified by God?  Then let's get on with the business of annulling the tens of thousands of secular marriages already performed by court officials and put marriage back into the church (although exactly which church is up for grabs, so get your torches and pitchforks and get ready for some good, old-fashioned holy wars).

Marriage consists of one man, and one woman, for life?  Then we'd better make divorce completely illegal, so that the 50 percent of marriages that break up can better conform to the "correct" standard.

Really, if my gay neighbors across the street decide to marry, what say should I have in it (except in purchasing the gift of my choice from wherever they happen to be registered)?  And why shouldn't they be entitled to each other's pensions, social security, tax breaks, and veteran's benefits, the same as I am with my spouse?

And don't tell me legal "partnerships" are the same thing as marriage.  That's like saying that since chocolate and vanilla are both flavors of milkshakes, I shouldn't be upset that I have to order vanilla and am banned from ever ordering chocolate.  If I'm banned from having one flavor, then obviously, they are NOT the same.  Duh.

I'm hoping the Supreme Court does the right thing and gives everyone in favor of marriage equality a reason to celebrate, soon.

Off the homesteading topic a bit, but there you go.  






3 comments:

  1. !!!!!! Thank you. Really, thank you. Straight, sane, married people are our best ally. I actually originally popped over to applaud your comment on another blog...it was very, very well put

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS- why is there so much backlash over there about organized people?! I think when lives of other creatures hang in the balance, planning is important! Haha

      Delete
    2. It's funny, Stephen, because both these things, I think, tie into basic common sense. Why would someone oppose any marriage between two adults when your life is not going to be impacted at all by their marriage? It's just meddlesome and mean! And why would someone laud jumping into farming with no preparation, risking the health and happiness of themselves and their livestock, and use "passion" as a valid excuse? Both things, are, I think, excuses to be selfish, and demand one's own way, regardless of the effect it has on others, you know?

      Delete