Sunday, March 3, 2013

Spring Stuff

Here in Central California's wine country, the vines are mostly pruned and spring is just around the corner.  Currently the nut trees (almond, pistachio) are in bloom, plus some plums and cherries here and there are also starting to pop.  It's lovely right now, but will look even better in a couple of weeks, so I will post some pictures then, when it's all in its full glory.

Yesterday at the hardware store, I couldn't resist buying some of these.


There are two cans of wildflower seeds, two packages each of radishes (for now) and butternut squash (for later) plus some camomile and sunflowers for summer.  It's not too early to be getting some of the more frost-tolerant spring crops into the ground, so now that the front yard is done, I can focus on that.

I'm going to try and get the wildflower seeds in the ground before Wednesday, when we're expecting rain, or as I like to call it, free germination water.

In other news, I received an invitation to go and help at the winery on bottling day later this month, so I will be doing that.  Volunteers get some bottles of new wine to take home with them, and are served a gourmet BBQ lunch (where wine is also served) once the chores are done.  Not a bad way to spend a day.

1 comment: