Monday, March 18, 2013

The Homestead Room


When we first looked into buying this house, we were surprised to find that it had an additional space attached to the north side of the building itself.  I'm not quite sure what its purpose was, because it's not accessible through the home, but it's nonetheless attached to it.  Self-contained sunroom?  Greenhouse?  Time-Out space for naughty pets?  Who knows.

I claimed it as my Homestead Room, where I would keep all manner of empty mason jars, beer and wine bottles, bird netting, animal feed, supplements, etc.  I love having it.



The thing I'm liking best is that, in addition to the valuable storage space for all things homestead, it has nice double-paned glass sides, windows, lights, outlets, and even a ceiling fan, all of which make it quite useful as a greenhouse.  I am currently germinating tomatoes, green beans and spinach inside.  And it's warm and lovely in there, 24 hours a day.  I even use it to bring in some of the more tender plants I have in pots outside, like geraniums and basil, which allows me to keep them alive through winter.

It's the kind of room I never knew I wanted, yet nowadays cannot figure out how I ever lived without.  Some things are just like that I guess.




2 comments:

  1. Oh how fabulous. I especially like it that it's not attached to the interior of the house. It's like the perfect catch-all multi purpose room to change with your seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is totally multi-purpose, and it will always be a mystery what the original owners wanted to use it for. As she was an artist, sometimes I wonder if it might have been where she set up her easel and painted; it's certainly got plenty of light!

      Delete