Friday, April 19, 2013

And now, a brief break from reality as we know it


So on Wednesday night, I had a dream about an old friend, a schoolteacher chum of mine.  Haven't seen him in years, haven't thought of him in about as long.  When people joke about having "office spouses," I always think of this friend.  We never had a romantic relationship and neither one of us would have wanted one, but we did have each others backs and each others confidences, through the bad and the good school years, as educators.  He actually felt, not like a spouse, but like a sibling.  My Office Brother.

But anyway, the point is that on Thursday afternoon, I walked into a luncheon and, there before me, was a guest speaker who was the spitting image of my teacher friend.  I mean, it was eerie how much they looked alike.  And had he not been a guest star in my dream the night before, I surely would have thought of my friend at that moment.

This sort of thing happens to me many times, in one form or another.  Before we moved here I kept seeing myself in little scenes which would pop into my brain -- sitting in a restaurant, standing in a field, driving in a rainstorm -- and in the vision, I already lived here.  This was at least three years before we moved, and whenever Big Ag would confess doubts about whether or not we'd be able to make the move, I'd tell him it was already a done deal.  In the future, we were already there.

According to Einstein, all space and all time are on one continuum -- everything we see that appears to be happening in a "first this, then that," fashion is actually occurring simultaneously along that line where space and time travel along -- from the moment of the universe's creation to its ending -- and the only variable is where our consciousness happens to be on that spectrum.

This means that, sometimes, I suppose it might be possible to stretch our consciousness a bit and see a little bit further up the line.  Or maybe our future selves are sending back images telling us what's going to happen. 

It's just a small reminder that 90 percent of our universe has not yet been discovered or understood by us.  We're just a little dot on that space/time continuum line.  But that doesn't mean there's all there is to things.

One thing I do know, is that reality is not even remotely what you or I think it is.  Isn't that exciting?




2 comments:

  1. Okay I love this post! I tried to post a comment when you posted but was having trouble with word verification. This subject fascinates me. I have a good friend who really suffered through infertility. She finally had a baby girl in January 2010. Shortly after that I had a dream about her two years in the future on a late winter day while it was snowing, but not accumulating. In the dream she found out she was pregnant with another girl. I told her about the dream and didn't really think much else about it. IVF and other fertility treatments were rough for her so she said she wouldn't do that again to get pregnant, if it happened, it happened. Well late winter she found out she was pregnant and just found out it's a girl! So crazy to see moments years before they happen. If only I could visualize lottery tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it frustrating we don't see anything like winning numbers? But to see anything at all is really quite amazing, like you and your pregnant friend. But predestination is kind of unnerving too, you know? Kind of challenges what we like to believe about freedom of choice. Or maybe we just see one *possible" future, one out of many possibilities.....we'll never know, but its food for thought, either way!

      Delete