Monday, April 8, 2013

Howling Out There

The wind has been howling all night and is not letting up, even with the day beginning.  It's weird, because right now the marine layer is hanging low, making things look quite cloudy and grey, but the winds on ground level are just whipping.  We were forecast for the potential of 60 - 70 mph winds, and I think we may actually see that later today.  

It's extremely unusual for us to have morning winds at all, so at this point I'm ready for anything later on, when the wind speed usually picks up significantly over whatever slight breezes have kept us company through morning.

That being said, I'm heating the house with the pellet stove while I can, and doing some wash (no reason not to take advantage of a gale for some free clothes drying). I should be watering trees and cleaning chicken coops, but if it keeps up like this those chores may be postponed or at least truncated -- a quick cleaning and quick spritz of water for the crops before high-tailing it back to the house.

 If we lose power later on, it won't be a big deal.  There's plenty of reading material, food, and a safe haven from the tempest going on outside within the walls of our home.  I have the luxury of being able to sit by a window and watch it happening without a hair on my head being moved if I so wish. I can even bring the chickens into the garage if it looks serious. 

When push comes to shove, if you're out of the wind and able to eat, entertain yourself and care for those under your charge, you're OK.  It's a luxury many in this world do not have, and I hope I never fail to appreciate it or be thankful for it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Good for pollination I suppose?! How very timely (for me) and true. I spent a little time this morning pouting because I can't afford a superfluous purchase. Haha reading this gives me the kick in the ass I needed. So easy to lose sight of the important things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, for some reason I'm more thankful when I'm out of the wind than anything else....to be outside being blown about, and then to come inside to where it's completely still just feels luxurious to me, and I feel lucky, always!

      Delete