Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Zzzzz


I meant to post yesterday, but ended up falling asleep around 4 pm or so, and by the time I woke up it was time for the P.M. rituals of dinner, feeding livestock, watering crops, then relaxing with the family for a couple of hours after sunset, 'till bedtime. I blame the nap for changing my schedule around, but have no regrets.

I know people who looooove naps and grab one whenever possible, but in general I am not one of them.  Big Ag can nap anywhere, anytime -- on a bench at a ballgame, definitely in the car, and often on the sofa in front of a blaring television. So can all the kids. But if I fall asleep during the day, it can pretty much be safely assumed I am sick, or fighting off becoming sick.  And I'm usually grumpy and disoriented when I awaken.  

But in spring, for some reason, I take to my bed at least one afternoon a week for what I can only describe as a sweet nap.

It's heavenly, even if it does sometimes wreak havoc with my chore schedule at times.  It doesn't matter.  At a certain point in the afternoon, it's difficult to keep my eyes open, and it's then I head for my bed, with its soft sheets, and I drift off to sleep quickly with windows wide open and the sounds of birdsong and the wind in the trees as I sleep, for about an hour or so.

I would guess my ancestors who lived the farm life took full advantage of napping season, whenever they were able to....or maybe not.  We Americans, after all, come from Puritan stock, who may have scoffed at sleeping during the day without good reason.  But the cultures of southern Europe build siesta time into each afternoon, just in case a nap strikes their fancy.  And maybe we'd be a happier and even more productive lot if we did the same. 

I'm lucky, because in living a fairly independent and rural life, I can nap when I want or need to (spring!). And I firmly believe it has probably made me healthier. So along with other seasonal behavior, such as fall allergies, Christmas shopping, and fireworks on July 4th, I guess I can add Spring Napping to the things I observe and celebrate.

Happy Nap Season, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. We all need a nap every now and then! Although generally speaking I am much more like you. I have never been a napper (not even when I was little!). I'm lucky if I fall asleep in my bed, let alone in a space with distractions. Funny how it works for some people and not others. My brother once was mistaken for a homeless person loitering at Subway on campus because he fell asleep there for two hours! Haha me, if I nap I'm done for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I am so jealous of those "I can sleep anywhere, anytime" people. You are right, sometimes it's even difficult to sleep in a quiet room at 3 a.m.! But yes, at least we will never end up being mistaken for a homeless person, or miss our stop on the train or bus because we fell asleep!

      Delete