Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Kitchen Tales

So the time has come to remodel our kitchen.  We have an appointment on this morning at the local home improvement store, where they will take measurements and figure out how to do what we want to do within our budget.  

For me, it's like Christmas with construction dust.  I can't wait.


 I'm looking at quartz countertops (tough and low maintenance), natural wood cabinets, PANTRY SPACE,  and pull-out shelves on all lower cabinetry since I am 50 and can no longer contort myself into a pretzel to reach back into the rear area of cabinetry in search of pots and pans.  

I also want a warming drawer for proofing bread and keeping food at a good serving temperature, and want to install a proper range hood over the range, instead of what we currently have, which is a pathetic little fan installed under the microwave oven, which sits directly above said range, and was obviously designed by someone who never had a spouse who wanted to re-heat his coffee while he/she was using the cooktop on the range, or who cooked anything that made much steam or smoke.  

We're also going to look into ripping up the tile on the floors and acid-washing the concrete underneath, to further eliminate the need to clean the grout I so often stain with tomato, strawberry and pomegranate juice while I'm canning.  It will hopefully not only look good, but be easy to care for and not too fussy as far as spills and stains.


I can't believe that soon I'll be saying goodbye to all this whiteness, and hello to something not only more practical, but less blinding in the sunlight.  I'm tired of wearing sunglasses to cook.


Goodbye, cruel, white kitchen!



2 comments:

  1. So fun! Congratulations! My mom has had quartz for over ten years now and it still looks brand new. It's a great product. Everyone told her she was crazy to not choose granite at the time. I have stained, sealed concrete in my current salon and love the way it looks and cleans...but DAMN is it slippery when wet. Or covered in hair. But we've had it for two years and it still looks brand new. Can't wait to watch the progress of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and post some design specs if I can in a few days! I'm kind of jazzed about how it turned out!

      Delete