Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Carrot Glut


So we are getting ready to harvest carrots and I only have one problem...I don't need any.  Because this winter has been so unseasonably warm, we didn't make our usual complement of stews, lasagnas and other hearty dishes.  We've been much more about salads than stews these last couple of months.  So the upshot is that I still have several pounds of Spring 2013 carrots left in the freezer.

So what to do with this year's crop ... 

Carrot cake? (Yum!)

Carrot wine? (Like we need more wine in the house at this point?)

Sauteed carrots (every night until July, at the earliest.)

Find unlocked employee car doors at the winery and slip bunches of carrots onto the passenger seats (I have actually done this with squash during summer.)

I don't know.  The other issue is that because it didn't get very cold, the carrots are not as sweet as they normally are.  Probably not noticeable to anyone but me, but I can tell.

Along with the years when something you really wanted to grow does not, there are the opposite years, when something grows so abundantly, or that your previous years' stores last long enough that it turns out you don't need it after all.  All part of the gamble I guess, when Mother Nature is your business partner.

6 comments:

  1. I can't remember where I got this but it is sooo good & I think less sweet carrots would be great. I use very little sugar in this recipe.

    Carrot Souffle

    Ingredients:

    1 lb. carrots (peeled & cut into cubes)
    1/2 c. butter (I used about a 1/3 c.)
    1 t. vanilla
    3 eggs (bring to room temp)
    3 T. flour
    1 t. baking powder
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 - 1/2 c. sugar (I used 1/4 c.)

    Directions:

    Heat oven to 350 degrees.

    Butter a casserole dish (deep works better)

    Mix dry ingredients & set aside.

    Cook carrots in boiling salted water until soft but not mushy.

    Put carrots in food processor & add butter immediately.

    Pulse a few times until butter is melted & carrots are mushed.

    Add vanilla & eggs.

    Pulse a few more times.

    Add dry ingredients & mix well.

    Pour all into prepared dish & bake for about 45 minutes until puffy & top is lightly browned.

    Serve warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds REALLY, really good! Oh, I am making this for sure...maybe even tonight. I love desserts that actually have nutritional value (which lessens the guilt lol). THANK YOU so much for posting this! I will post a pic of how it turns out. Bet it might be good with some homemade vanilla ice cream on the side...

      Delete
  2. I swear, it is so good you won't need the ice cream!. I got some more carrots in our SA today & will definitely make this again this weekend. Looking forward to your pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post pics for sure! Carrots are in the boiling water as we speak. I'm excited!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh what a problem! Carrot leaf is one of my favorite fragrances. So my suggestion isn't nearly as wonderful as DFW's but if you drink a lot of you'll think it is! Carrot vodka. A lot of people fuss over cucumber vodka which is wonderful but I think carrot vodka is better. It's so good in so many drinks! But you could also use it as fragrance in soaps I would imagine. I think carrot-infused vinegar would be great too. And neither rely on your freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the smell of carrot leaf, too! I eat the sprouts when they're first coming up and I have to thin the bed. The leaves would be lovely in vodka, and since vodka is often used for herbal infusions, I could probably then turn around and add THAT to my soaps (well, what I didn't drink that is). Thanks for the tip!

      Delete