Thursday, March 27, 2014

Enough

Victory. Singular.

I love the days when standing in my kitchen making something from scratch is enough.

I love the days when hanging wash out in the sunshine is enough.

I love the days when cleaning the house is enough.

I'm not sure why I expect so many of my other days to be "Multiple Victory" Days, where I stack achievement upon achievement until I feel validated because I've crossed so many items off a "to do" list. It makes me no better a person.  It puts no more money in the bank.  And the list, which I whittle down day after day, somehow always seems to regenerate itself by tomorrow, like a weed that keeps coming back.

What does it take for you to say, "that's enough" to yourself, and feel like it's been a productive day?  

And if it's more than a few simple things, why are you so hard on yourself?  The list will surely re-invent itself again tomorrow, before you're even out of bed. And every achievement is a sweet one, whether it's a swept floor, warm dinner rolls or just some clean laundry.

I'm sure what you did today was enough, whatever it was.


4 comments:

  1. Amen! It's all too easy to be consumed and pressured by to-do lists. Sometimes we just have to cut ourselves a break and say enough. I love this post -- I can definitely relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. Someone I knew used to say they were a human "being," not a human "doing." Sounds like good advice for everyone!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. I don't know. Haha I guess the one barometer I can look to is if Barbie is exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! My dog has a lot more energy than I do, but then he also sleeps on the sofa all day lol. Maybe not such a good barometer for a human to compare themselves with! Their energy level ebbs and flows on a whole different level than ours does. : )

    ReplyDelete