Saturday, January 12, 2013

Imelda May, "Inside Out"

Back in the day, when I was young and lived in the city, I was a dancer.  Not just any dancer -- we did the usual contests around town and what-not, but I was also a regular on  a TV show called American Bandstand.  I was completely happy to spend hours and hours dancing, rehearsing, clubbing (where of course we danced) and dreaming about new steps and fancy lifts for my partner and I to master and glittery clothes to assemble.

Sometimes I tell people this and they cannot believe it.  But it's completely, 100 percent true.

I've changed, more so than I possibly could have predicted and in ways I never saw coming, just like most interesting people I know. But I make no apologies.  I may be a homesteader, but I still like to dance.  But most of the music that finds me swaying these days is solidly in the Celtic/Bluegrass category.....almost. So today, when we are out on our property  planting vines, you can bet that even though I will be wearing a pair of grubby overalls and big hooded coat, I will still have my ear buds in and be swaying just a little, as I plant...to this song that's been a favorite of mine since summer, Imelda May's "Inside out." It's not Celtic and it's not bluegrass, but f this song does not make you want to get up and dance, even a little, then you, my friend, are dead.

Perhaps there's still just a teensy little bit of that Big City Girl left in me, deep down inside.  But as long as she's willing to help plant vines and clean out chicken coops, I guess I'm OK with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment