Friday, January 18, 2013

Inside Days, Outside Days

I've realized recently that my days are pretty much divided into two categories -- inside days and outside days.  I don't have a preference of the two, unless the weather is doing something extremely hot or cold, but I've noticed I get more work done if I devote my time to either one or the other -- not both.
Inside Days


Inside days involve doing laundry, cleaning, making soap, laundry detergent, lotions and salves, doing canning and preserves, and often fixing a dinner that requires maximum involvement. Think oven-baked chicken, biscuits, a fresh salad and homemade dressing, and a cobbler for dessert.  My family loves inside days, because on outside days, they're sometimes left to fend for themselves, meal-wise.

Outside days are harder physically, but it's incredibly rewarding to work out in the fresh air and sun all day long.  These days usually consist of cleaning out coops, planting, watering, sweeping, digging, and other manual labor-oriented tasks, as well as running into town to errand and do my weekly grocery shopping.

But trying to do both in the same day often proves problematic.  The days I spend outdoor digging and trudging up and down our hill are NOT the ones that leave me with enough time or energy to fix a real, made-from-scratch, sit-down dinner.  The days I've spent indoors, cleaning up after the family, don't always leave me with a strong desire to go out and get super dirty (and bring a bunch of dirt back inside to the clean house).  And it's hard to shift gears, once you've been doing one thing all day long.  
Outside Days

I'm thinking my great-grandmothers probably had a similar schedule, and may even have felt the same way as me.  They probably had to choose between canning and gardening, planting and preserving, making soap or making rows for crops. Of course back then both spouses worked the land and so chores were divided on a daily basis (perhaps at least somewhat based on gender), but I'm sure my grannies used to wake up, look at what needed to be done and ask themselves if they were going to have an inside, or outside kind of day.

Whatever kind of day you're having, I hope it's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment