Wednesday, January 23, 2013

No 'poo here

Every homesteader eventually gets hit with the "I'm not using shampoo anymore," bug, and it's been hitting me these last few days, especially since I've decided to stop using hair color.  Why not stop with the chemical-laden shampoo as well?

So after a long day working in the orchard, late this afternoon I jumped into the shower with the aim of washing my hair without using shampoo.  I used a tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water, worked into my scalp well to "wash," followed by a tablespoon of cider vinegar in another cup of water to rinse.  Dried it as usual, and as of right now everything seems fine.  Smells clean, looks clean, feels clean.

I am hoping I can switch over to this 'poo-less method of cleaning my hair, but the test is going to be my scalp in a week or two.  

That's because scalp smell is not attractive, except when it's the smell of a baby's head, and then it is intoxicating, maternal Heaven.  Even when it's not your baby.  Allow a mother to get a whiff of almost any baby's head and they get this rapturous look on their faces, like they've seen a vision of Nirvana (place, not band).  But it's probably just their estrogen levels heading off the charts and into the stratosphere.  A brand new baby's scalp.  Holy moly, it is the smell of human perfection.

But I passed a woman in the supermarket the other day and could smell her scalp or hair from about two feet away, and friends let me tell you, when its an adult's head you smell, and from that far away, it's about as far from Heaven as you can get.  

And I never, never want to be that woman.  Ever. So we shall see how shampoo-less living goes.  I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment