Thursday, January 17, 2013

Trees of Antiquity


We have a great resource here on the Central Coast for heirloom fruit trees.  It's a company called Trees of Antiquity here in Paso Robles, which specializes in organically grown heirloom fruit trees.  When I first heard about them, I initially balked at the idea of buying an organic tree.  After all, it's the fruit that matters on a tree, and whether or not you've produced organic fruit depends on how YOU treat the tree -- what you do with your soil, as well as how you manage your weeds and pests.  

But in thinking a little more, I realized that an organic tree farm is better for the water table, the air quality, and the ultimate sustainability of the land it sits on.  So by giving them my business, I'm making a little investment in the environment of this beautiful region I live in, and helping keep it healthy for generations to come.

I picked up a Golden Grimes apple tree today, parent of today's Golden Delicious apple.  And I have three ollalieberry bushes and two blueberry bushes on order.  Planting season is indeed in full swing, and I hope to someday, years from now, be able to take a blanket and a book and sit among my trees, berry bushes and vines and remember this first planting season on our new land.

For more information on Trees of Antiquity, check out their website.  I think you can even have trees shipped to you, if you live out of the area!

http://www.treesofantiquity.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment