Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Polar Bears

Today was New Year's Day, kind of a blah holiday in many ways.  After all, there are no really traditional things you do on New Year's Day.  New Year's Eve?  Certainly.  But not the day after.  

So I was sitting around the house with Big Ag this morning, reading the morning paper and watching what seemed to be the most boring Rose Parade in history, when I spied the little calendar on Page Two of the paper, which lists all the events for the week.  First up was the annual Polar Bear Plunge, held in Cayucos, later that morning.  At which point, I looked up at my husband and said, "let's be polar bears today."  Actually the conversation went something like this:

Me:  Let's go to Cayucos today and do the Polar Bear Plunge.

Him:  Are you nuts?

I am thankful that he is a good enough sport that I was able to convince him to take the plunge with me.  Which we did. And it was delightful....cool but not cold, refreshing, exhilarating....and just plain fun.  The crowd counted down to one, and when we were done we all ran headlong, like a pack of oddly dressed lemmings, into the surf.   We wore silly clothes (Big Ag put on full Giants regalia, I donned some cute pajamas, an evening hat and a scarf) and met the first day of the year in the surf and sand, in probably the oddest way possible.

No better method, in my opinion, of welcoming in 2013.

Into the surf, pajamas and all

No comments:

Post a Comment