Sunday, January 6, 2013

Unplugged....could YOU do it?

I read an article in the most recent edition of Sunset Magazine while profiled a low-tech household.  As I looked through the pages and read about all the modern technology which was banished from their home, a couple of thoughts came to my head:

1.  I'll bet they have plenty of unused outlet space, unlike at our house, where outlets are fought over like pirate plunder.

2.  I'd love to see their electricity bill, because this may be a family that actually uses the "baseline" amount of electricity listed on all our bills, and no more.

I will admit, there are times I fantasize about what life in our house would be like without all the high-tech gadgets, LED displays, and electric cords of all shapes and sizes running everywhere.  But it's a fantasy, not something I'd actually really want to do in reality.  I love the vintage clock-radio in the pictorial, that is something I'd definitely buy, but choosing a dishwasher with no electric panel seems to be a bit over the top.   I love the old-fashioned rotary phone,  but would hate the lack of a microwave oven.  To each his own I guess.  But it does seem wise to take a page from this family's playbook, and own/use the modern conveniences we like best, while still considering whether low-tech, or even hand-crank alternatives would be feasible, and maybe even more enjoyable than their high-tech cousins.  

The article is and photo tour is here, if you'd like to see it for yourself:

http://www.sunset.com/home/natural-home/unplugged-home-tour-00418000080498/page25.html

No comments:

Post a Comment